Monday 21 December 2009

Unknown paths

So much to write I don't know where to start. A lot has been happening and it all means I know less than before, which wasn't much.

It's late and I have put off working all day by finding jobs to do or just pottering. I have a feeling that blogging is also counter productive, and not 'the real work' I should be doing. I suppose then the question is what is the real work?

I just came across a lovely blog entry by Spirit Cloth called 'refining the place idea' in which she discusses the marks left on us by place. Seemed somehow apt and in tune with what I had been thinking.

That aside...

After a deeper than usual tutorial on Thursday I left feeling like I was finally starting to look for what I want to do. Having prepared with a mania of mind-mapping and list generating it soon became clear that part of this exercise was limited by the perspective of my starting point; if you don't ask the right question how can you possibly come up with any meaningful answers? So do I need to ask myself more searching, difficult questions? Can I ask useful questions at all, or is it all limited too much by my own narrow perspective?

If I want to get anything meaningful out of my practice and really push myself (which I do) then I need to allow myself to let go of everything I feel comfortable with in my practice; perhaps only holding on to a few things that are truly important to me. The exercise in 'free falling' is scary and I don't know where to start.

There was a great deal of emotional turmoil during my tutorial that is too personal to go into in such a personal arena. However this is clearly at odds with the idea of me exploring my emotional responses through my artwork. I suppose at the root of all this I am not very good at letting things out, that's my problem. (but this might surprise people that know me!)

Sorry, no nice pictures - nothing to show for all my thinking ...

2 comments:

  1. Solstice reflections, I'm thinking. Personally, I don't think blogging is e-v-e-r a waste...if anything, it is a place to to find compatriots and a somewhat safe sounding board. The world is so much bigger than where our bodies are living, so many kindred souls elsewhere!

    S'cuse me...my own solstice reflections perhaps...but I liked your post. All best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, thanks for the mention...i love all the questions you are asking yourself, they draw nice pictures for me....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...