Saturday 4 April 2009

Pinhole camera making

As I have been experimenting with basic photography methods like cyanotypes I decided to try making a pinhole camera. I thought this would be a really interesting way to work with light and time in the environment.

Although I could have bought a ready-made pinhole camera there is something really nice about improvising your own equipment and getting more involved in the process. Digital photography especially often feels very detached from the process of making images.

This is the first pinhole camera I made, following excellent instructions I found online for making a matchbox pinhole camera.



I have taken one reel of colour film to see what kind of results I can get. I have experimented with different exposure lengths; 2, 5, 10, 20, 30 secs. and also some longer exposures of about 10 minutes at twilight. For some images I laid the camera on the ground and for others I tried taping the camera to a tripod for stability. 

It will be interesting to see if I get anything worth using when the photos are developed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...