Saturday 4 July 2015

'Stuff'


I recently spent some time at my Mum's house, helping her sort things out in preparation for a house move. She has unwittingly become the inheritor of generations of 'stuff'. You can interpret that word as you like, but I see it as a positive word. As an example we found this rather lovely envelope in my Grandmother's hand:


In case you can't make it out, it reads 'Grandad Lovejoys Treasures from his pockets'. So that would be my Great, great grandfather I suppose.

There can be no doubt that my interest in found objects comes from my Mum's side of the family.

I have also claimed a pair of simple jet earrings that belonged to my great, great grandmother Ellen Lickman (below). In fact I think she is wearing them in this photo. I have never really owned any old jewellery before, and I really feel the weight of history wearing them. I am rather interested in that sensation... possibly something to explore.


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that someone took the trouble to put the pocket treasures in an envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now you'll have to show us what is IN the pocket treasures! I too love the idea that someone would save and catalogue them like that.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...