I made a discovery this morning that made me realise I need to be more cautious. So although I feel rather stupid I think it worthwhile blogging my mistakes as a cautionary tale.
The green silk bundle I made this week was made with a a small selection of new green leaves from the woodland floor. I new that I had picked the leaves of ramsons (edible and tasty) and lords and ladies (poisonous berries, but I think the leaves are ok) and something else...
When I finally got round to checking the 'something else' I discovered it was Dog's Mercury, which was listed as 'very poisonous'. Whoops! Fortunately I have lived to tell the tale, and I am very happy I never mix cooking implements and dye vessels.
So in future I will be treating everything as poisonous until I am absolutely certain it is not.