Wednesday 11 March 2009

Collecting Colours

Continued on from the previous posting.

As well as using the handmade sketchbooks for drawing I also wanted to think, and also influenced by my making some onion skin dyes for my students, I thought it would be interesting to see what colours I could get from the environment along my walk. Rather than making potions I was keen to just get a direct stain there and then. The first one was just dark mud from the footpath and then on later walks I came across old crab apples and rose hips that were very soft having been weathered all winter.


Again all this ties in with the idea of working with what you find in the landscape (like the cyanotype photos). I enjoy working in this way, although it is sometimes frustrating. However I don't think any of this really tackles my emotional response to the environment. It is really still observational, just in a non-traditional format.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...